1986 Welch’s Grape Juice

October 2018 – This was my first try with Welch’s. In reading my notes, I see that this one fermented dry, but the raspberry didn’t. It may be the preservatives level, or possibly the raspberry had unfermentable sugars. To quote the wise old owl, “The world may never know.”


Fruit six 12 oz cans Welch’s grape juice, one 12 oz can apple-grape juice
Water 4 gallons
Citric Acid 2 tsp
Sugar 15 cups
Energizer 2 tsp
Yeast Red Star Epernay II
Nutrient 4 tsp


Started 08/28/1986
SG 1.082
Racked 09/04/1986
SG 1.000
Racked 09/13/1986
SG 0.990
Racked 11/16/1986
SG 0.990
2 cups sugar added 11/16/1986
SG 0.997
Racked 11/29/1986
SG 0.996
Clarified 12/02/1986
SG 0.996
Racked 12/17/1986
SG 0.996
Bottled 01/15/1987
SG 0.996


Yield 25 bottles
Alcohol 11.7%
Afterthoughts Given that I wrote things in a tiny notebook, I was awfully sparse in details. I think that when I added 2 cups of sugar it was for sweetening and that I stabilized it at that time. But that doesn’t explain the SG not changing …

I tried different clarification agents and settled on bentonite as a favorite, so that’s probably what I used, although this is early enough that I may have used sparkaloid.