1988 Ravat 51 Batch #2

December 2007 – As noted in the preamble For 1988 Ravat Batch #1, this grape was renamed to Vignoles, but all the old-timers continued to call it Ravat.

This is the second part of an experiment, where I used Lalvin KV-1116 for this batch and Red Star Eperney II for the other.

Ingredients:

fruit 8 gallons Ravat 51 juice, 23.0 brix, 1.1 acid, 60ppm sulfite
grape tannin 1/4 tsp
pectic enzyme 4 tsp
yeast nutrient 8 tsp
yeast energizer 1-1/2 tsp
yeast Lalvin KV-1116

Method:

Started 11/06/1988
1.090
Racked, 1/4 tsp K-sulfite added 11/14/1988
1.000
Racked, 1/4 tsp K-sulfite, 1/2 tsp ascorbic acid, 1 tsp citric acid added 01/28/1989
0.996
Filtered, #1 filter pad 03/27/1989
0.996
01 quart pourback added 01/27/1988
1.000
Filtered, #2 filter pad 04/09/1989
1.000
Bottled 04/09/1989
1.000

Notes:

Yield 37 bottles
Afterthoughts This was part of an experiment to create wine in 2 batches from identical juice, using different yeast. While some people rave over the differences in yeast, I didn’t note much between these two batches. I may try this experiment again sometime in the future.

Bryan

Long time wine and beer making ....