This wine has been planned since last summer, but I’m just getting around to making it.
I have a 25 liter (6.6 US gallon) demijon free, so the plan is to make enough wine to fill it. Since the elderberry concentrate reconstitutes to 5 gallons (19 liter), I purchased 1 liter of red and 1 liter of white grape concentrate to extend it to 7 gallons. I wanted 2 liters of red grape concentrate, but it wasn’t in stock at American Brewmaster, so I snagged what I could.
|Fruit||1 gallon Vintner’s Best Elderberry fruit wine base
1 liter Global Vintners Inc red grape concentrate
1 liter Global Vintners Inc white grape concentrate
|Yeast Nutrient||6 tsp Fermax|
|Yeast||2 tsp Avante + 1/2 tsp Fermax + 1 tsp sugar|
|Fermentation Sugar||6 cups|
|Pectic Enzyme||3 tsp|
|Fermentation Oak||2 cups medium toast American shredded oak|
|Fining Agents||12.5 ml kieselsol & 75 ml chitosan|
|Aging Oak||1 oz medium toast Hungarian cubes|
|Finishing Sugar||10 oz wine conditioner plus 1/2 cup sugar|
|Added a few cups of hot tap water to a 6.5 gallon primary, then stirred in 3 tsp bentonite until it was as dissolved as it would get. Added Fermax.
Poured in gallon of Elderberry concentrate. Used 3 quarts of hot tap water in 3 batches to rinse the jug, emptying all into the fermenter. Topped up with cold tap water to 5 gallons. Racked into a 32 gallon Brute, as I don’t have a smaller fermenter that can handle 7 gallons of must.
Since I don’t have a better way to measure, poured the white and red grape concentrate into the 6.5 gallon primary. Used a couple of cups of hot water, each, to rinse the bags, putting all water into the fermenter. Topped with cold water to 2 gallons. Poured this into the Brute with the Elderberry.
The SG is a bit low for my tastes, but I’ll fix that tomorrow. I’m targeting 1.090.
Created a yeast starter with 2 tsp Avante, 1/2 tsp Fermax, and 1 tsp sugar in 1 cup water.
|Stirred in 6 cups sugar to raise the Brix. Added pectic enzyme and fermentation oak. Note: the SG is higher than I planned, but I’m ok with it.
Added yeast starter.
|There is no activity, so it appears the yeast starter failed. I had the yeast stored in the freezer, and suspect the jump between freezer temperature and room temperature was too much.
Created a new starter with 4 tsp Avante, 1/2 tsp Fermax, and 1/2 tsp sugar in 1 cup 93 F water. This one took off within 15 minutes, and I inoculated 8 hours later.
|Racked the wine into the 25 liter demijohn. Managed to mix up the last bit, so a 4 liter jug is filled with sludge, that should clear.||03/27/2022
|Racked the “sludge” wine, netting about 80% of the total in clear wine. Added to demijohn.
Added 1/4 tsp K-meta and 12.5 ml Kieselsol. Stirred for 60 seconds, changing direction half way through.
Added 75 ml chitosan. Stirred for 60 seconds, changing direction half way through.
Topped with 1 bottle 2020 second run wine.
|Racked the wine. The SG dropped a bit and there was very little sediment. Added 1 oz medium toast Hungarian cubes, 1/4 tsp K-meta, and topped with a bottle of 2020 second run wine.||05/02/2022
|Racked the wine, reserving 4 liters that will be bulk aged an additional 4 to 6 months, then backsweetened and bottled without sorbate.
To the 5.5 gallons bottled today, added Stabilizing pack (sorbate + K-meta) from last fall’s kits, 10 oz wine conditioner (from Eric’s Riesling), and 1/2 cup sugar, stirring well after each addition.
Bottled. As with the Blackberry, forgot to take a final SG reading. I’ll do that when I open a bottle.
UPDATE: opened a bottle and checked SG.
|Bottled the final 4 liters of wine, using no sorbate.
I didn’t record the amount of sugar used, although the taste was as close to the first bottling as we could make it.
|Yield||33 bottles + 5 bottles (no sorbate)|
|Residual Sugar||3.1 %|
|06 Oct 2022||We backsweetened a bit more than I would have for myself, but the target audience should like it better.|
|23 Apr 2023||Bottled the final 4 liters without sorbate.|
|12 Jul 2023||Taste tested with Shannon. The wine fermented in the bottle, producing some carbonation, but not enough to blow the cork. The wine is bone dry, and we added a small amount of honey to smooth it.|