2022 Merlot / Tempranillo
We are trying 2 experiments of the same type this fall. Our main batches are 8 lugs each Grenache and Tempranillo. We took the pomace from each and added to it a Finer Wine Kits Tavola Merlot kit. The intention is to see how much the pomace affects the Merlot, and how different the two resulting wines are from each other
|Fruit||Finer Wine Kits Tavola Merlot kit
pomace from 8 lugs (288 lbs) Tempranillo
|Nutrient||7 tsp Fermax, split|
|Yeast||Lalvin RC-212 and Renaissance Avante that is in pomace|
|Fermentation Oak||oak remaining in pomace|
|Fining Agents||kieselsol and chitosan (from kit)|
|Aging Oak||1 oz medium toast Hungarian oak cubes|
|Reconstituted the kit to 23 liters. We decided to completely skip the additives in the kit, as the addition of Tempranillo pomace changes the situation so much.
The Tempranillo had 8 cups of medium toast American shredded oak and 3 tsp ScottZyme ColorPro added, so we added nothing other than 5 tsp Fermax.
The pomace from 288 lbs of grapes in a LOT, and 6 gallons of must didn’t break it up much. Stirring this will be an effort. Added no yeast as the pomace is full of yeast.
The SG listed is the SG of the kit before mixing. When calculating the ABV, we’ll use that to calculate the expected ABV of the Merlot kit, and average that with the ABV of the Grenache. The result should be accurate enough.
|Fermentation took off immediately — I could smell fresh fermentation within 3 hours of the original mixing (10/16). Stirring is difficult as the must is so thick, but slighter easier than the Merlot/Grenache.
Added 2 tsp Fermax.
|Both of the kit/pomace wines fermented FAST. They were done by Thursday night, so we pressed on Friday.
Used my new pH meter and got 3.84, which is a bit high. I’ll probably add a bit of acid after the next racking (I add acid incrementally to avoid over-doing it).
Added kieselsol and chitosan.
|Racked and homogenized the containers. Added 1/2 tsp K-meta. Racked back into 23 liter carboy plus smaller containers. Added 1 oz oak cube to the 23 liter carboy.|| 11/05/2022
|Realized I haven’t added K-meta recently, so added 1/4 tsp to the carboy. Made solution of 6 Tbsp water with 1/4 tsp K-meta, and added 1 Tbsp to each 4 liter jug.||04/07/2023
|Today is bottling day. We racked the 23 liter carboy into a primary. Upon tasting, it’s acidic. I normally add a maximum of 1 oz glycerin per gallon, but went with 8 oz in a project 7 gallon batch, to curb the acid. Taste testing proved that it helped — the wine is still a bit acidic, but better. Added a heaping 1/4 tsp K-meta.
The remaining 4 liter jug was mislabeled — it’s Merlot/Grenache. We decided it wasn’t worth dealing with, so we added it to the main batch, which improved it.
|At bottling||This one is a bit harsh now, but has all indications of being a longer aging wine. I will not be surprised to get 8, maybe 10 years out of it.|